Thursday, October 30, 2008

Clyde Connell: conveying strong emotion through simple symbols

Mr Trudeau's voice echoed grandly in the loft-like room dedicated to the artist Clyde Connell at Artspace. Her large abstract works consisting of torn paper glued to canvas simply displayed something only she could visualize.

Some of my classmates mumbled about how they or their siblings could make that kind of art But I saw an unusual coordination in the seemingly random-colored strips that Clyde could doubtlessly envisioned before she made the piece.

Her unusual made-up language confused many as we tried to decode the language only to have it revealed that it was a stylized surrealist technique.

My personal favorite work from her were the statue towers. They were simple but had a fascinating ability to convey emotion through something as simple as a chain.

Artspace, I have found, is one of my favorite parts of downtown Shreveport and is always worth a visit.

- Patrick Keene

No comments: