Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Adding a respectful bit of negative criticism to your review

Riding my bicycle to school recently, I was crossing the dangerous Youree Dr. at E. Washington intersection. A bit of confusion between a driver and myself about my turning left caused a brief delay in the traffic.
While turning off I heard someone behind me say "Get that thing off the road."

I understand his negativity towards a bike commuter. But the truth is, his remark didn't disturb me. That was partly because his tone of voice was not harsh. I believe that I heard some sense of consideration in the timbre of his complaint.

That's where an effective writer needs to be in regards reviews. Don't be afraid to offer a critical or negative thought. Present it with detail and in a respectful tone.

For a good example, see the restaurant review site called tastingshreveport.wordpress.com.

No comments: