Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yeero Yeero, Shreveport, earns another review of the food and ambience

Yeero! Yeero! could be one of the most easily overlooked restaurants in town. Painted white and blue like the Greek flag, the eatery, near the corner of Youree and Southfield, started as a drive-through, and it still looks like that's all it is from the outside. However, the inside of Yeero! Yeero! has the feel of an upscale restaurant: marble floors, pressed tin ceiling, ornate tables and chairs. The leather-bound menus contain a host of Greek sandwiches and dishes, which are the real reason for the crowd. My dining experience was quite an enjoyable one. I started with an order of spanakopita, or spinach pie. The spinach itself was a little bland, but the buttery dough makes it much easier to eat your greens. For my entrée, I ordered moussaka, a sort of Greek lasagna. It was plentiful in flavor. The dish was served with a side of fresh, hot, wonderfully soft pita bread. Even though the portion wasn't overwhelming, I couldn't finish it. Throughout the meal, my glass was kept full and the ambiance allowed us to forget I was next to one of the busiest intersections in Shreveport. As I finished, the baklava sounded tempting, but I was too stuffed. I'll have to remember it next time, because I'm sure I'll return.

- Martin Black

No comments: