Friday, September 26, 2008

Let us set an institutional standard: there will be a web site review quiz - open notes - every Thurs unless otherwise announced

Having a weekly standard in which you must have reviewed the web site notes and prepared for an evaluation of your reading comprehension is good pedagogy. Therefore, let us commit to a weekly review and scoring.

Essay option: some weeks - when I've got the extra energy - the weekly review will call for a brief essay based specifically on the web site notes.

The web site is your text. Your teacher writes it for you as an eclectic source of information and stimulation. It is also a model for you of instructional composition and general communication. You are expected to read it as your homework.

As I hope you can see, I do not copy and paste large blocks of material just for the sake of taking your time. My standard for what to link to and what to quote and what to present, in general, is my sense of what you're going to face in college classes and in your general discourse as part of the educated class of the world.

When I present material on these pages I travel in space and time to when and where I learned this material and when I've used it. I also see your faces as I write and choose this material. Really, it's You, not the canon, that I care about as I write.

Amen.

No comments: