Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tut's throne: artful furniture that portrays affection and possesses soul


NK_tut_throne.d18
Originally uploaded by mindlessjc-Researcher of The Wachoo Wachoo Tribe

It is a gleaming golden throne, but it is not massive. On the seat back is a depiction of the Pharaoh and his wife. She reaches towards him in a gesture of affection. This throne, one of the famous items from the tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamun, is in a glass case in the Egyptian Museum, Cairo.

I tended to find the throne and examine it each of the several times I visited the museum in 1991. For me it was a symbol of the nature of art. The thrones I knew from European history were pompous compared to this one. Like a short story, this chair carried a narrative.

It was hand made; not every detail was perfectly formed. But it touched me.

No comments: